Thursday, December 16, 2010

Too high with perfection????

I shall make this short and sweet for sake of not wanting to appear lackadaisical.

Have you ever have one of those days where you had every plan on being overly productive (to make up for your last few at the other end of the obscene procrastination spectrum) but all while justifying why you should just stick to your new lazy lifestyle???
That is EXACTLY what happened to me today.
SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!! (And especially for those that know me well!!!)

Although, I can toot my own horn and report I was able to get a FEW errands done, but that managed to leave TWICE as many things to be left for my "To-do" list.



So, what would life really be like without things TO DO?! I will never know that feeling. Coincidentally, I am not sure if I would be comforted to know there is nothing left. Therefore, I have come to realize this may be one of  many mechanisms to create a sense of comfort or "contribution" toward life. Almost a verification or an advanced way to "brag" in conversation. Whereas, let us not forget "to-do" lists can almost ALWAYS guarantee spending large sums of $$ (just think: grocery shopping, paying bills, meeting up with that friend you've been blowing off for months even just for lunch, etc...)...so another question that comes to mind: is there a correlation with being well off and not having many things to do??
Perhaps that is how being "well to-do" came about! How quaint!

So...when people ask what I do and how I utilize my many academic degrees...(Or in other words: What do you do with your life????), I will simply stop, looking as though I am pondering this for the first time and reply,
"Oh nothing,  I constantly frustrate myself knowing that I remain far from accomplishing anything I set for goals on a regular basis". I really should try to simplify that in layman's terms now that I read that over because clearly, if someone said something like that to me I would look at them like this...


Another thing to ponder is perhaps I have unachievable standards and therefore, I should take it down a notch. Is this society's way of brainwashing us into thinking that we should be perfect all the time and leave us open for "failure" ???

Speaking of failure...Since I'm leaving on such an analytical note, I shall note the mini-book "Go For No", by Richard Fenton & Andrea Waltz. The book is tiny (about 70 something pages) yet so insightful. it sheds a  light on why it's OK to be "negative" vs. "positive" or to "fail" vs. "settle with success".

http://www.goforno.com/

I was given the opportunity to read this book at one of my current positions.


Let me know what you think!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews