Saturday, February 19, 2011

A light bulb or a blind fold?

So, I'm really not going to lie. Keeping up with a blog is hard work.
Not only that, it's a bit of a struggle since it is basically the equivalent to sitting and having a nice long chat with yourself. A one way conversation, if you will.

There is nothing necessarily wrong with this, it's just unusually unproductive at times since there isn't a whole bunch of feedback, my moods tend to overtake my fingers, and frankly: I run out of cool little things to talk about.
Not only that, but especially at 2 or 3 am. I'm usually ready to click that publish button a few short hours before some of you wake up to begin your day!

This makes me ponder the topic that gets brought up (by myself and others) on a more than regular basis. I often question the idea behind why some people prefer to be up at this time (owls), while others prefer early mornings (larks).
I once read a book that discussed the human individualism of circadian sleep rhythms and I would love to keep researching such a topic.
Similarly, it falls in the tracks of it's sister topic of today's society and the schedules people hold.  I have met few people who share the same sleep patterns as myself. However, I choose to hold this type of pattern with my sleep for it works very nicely with my schedule. Had I known I was this night owl all along, I'm pretty sure my life would have held simplicity all along.

See, over the course of my (very limited) research, I have come to understand that I need to focus on things that will be mainframed in the late afternoon/early evening. I've tread water many times trying to remain afloat working anywhere from the 7,8,9, even 10Am ish schedule..but this just creates misery. After reading this book, I have learned that is because I'm just not "meant" to be using certain brainwaves until well into the afternoon.
This isn't necessarily a "bad" thing, although it is looked at as abnormal to some.
What really is "normal"  anyway??? To me something normal may not be normal to you at all. Who am I to tell you that my interpretation of normal doesn't pan out to be what you are portraying.

I think as human beings, we tend to create an alliance with others that not only share the same interests, but also share the same schedule and who will be the most likely to fit into that schedule.There are exceptions to this prospective, but for the most part we search for those who can grant us the most amount of "time". Aha, there is another special word: TIME! Just so happens, the title of the book I was referring to is "TIME".

Something else to think about...because most schools and "normal" jobs are traditionally placed throughout the morning hours, we "train" ourselves (even if we aren't meant to do this) to maintain the unusual schedule and eventually just get used to it. I'm not suggesting that ALL people who work shifts (either morning or evening) are doing it because they have to, I am saying that I am willing to bet there is a lot larger percentage of people (who if they took a long hard evaluation of themselves) who may benefit just by changing their shift ultimately.

I'm going to leave it here for next time. This blog almost got philosophically displaced there for a few seconds, so I don't want you to think I was going nuts..(that's already happened!)...

To be continued next time around (not to be confused with a really good soap opera that sucks you in on a Friday afternoon 5 minutes before it is supposed to end....)

1 comment:

  1. I wish I were a night owl. I on the other hand am awake and ready to take on the world at 4 or 4:30 am. My friends all know they can count on me to drive them to the airport on a Saturday morning for an 0-dark-30 flight because I am the only fool awake at 5am on a Sat., I try to sleep in a little :-) That being said, it is 9:50 pm and I am nodding off to sleep!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews